Think pimples are something just teenagers get? If you say yes, then you are incorrect. More than 20 percent of women/men suffer from acne late into their twenties and thirties. Acne is an inflammatory skin condition, caused by the production of excess sebum, which clogs the pores and leads to pimples. Breakouts can occur all over the body, but are most commonly found on the face, back and chest. The cause could be anything from stress to hormonal fluctuation and more.
Over the counter products and antibiotics for clear skin are such a pain in terms of money and time. Many of them turn out to be harmful instead of being beneficial. So what is that harmless way to save us from acne breakouts and it’s after effects?
Have you heard the saying; “A healthy diet means healthy skin.”?
I am sure you all may be familiar with the fact – “Crap In-Crap Out.” This saying is so damn apt for acne breakouts. Besides the stress and the hormonal imbalance factor, the food intake directly affects your skin. The foods you eat could be making your skin worse. A well-balanced diet, filled with the right foods and drinks can help prevent breakouts, and revive your skin and pores.
Here I have a list of foods which will make your skin acne-free. Try to combine them with plenty of exercise, fresh air and adequate water intake and see what great difference it makes to your skin.
- Beans, Oysters, Poultry, Fish (other foods rich in zinc): Sufficient zinc amounts in body puts the brakes on acne breakouts. Zinc also helps to absorb Vitamin A (another essential nutrient for healthy skin).
- Brazil Nuts: Brazil nuts are a rich source of “Selenium”. It’s an antioxidant which improves acne by probably protecting cells from inflammatory damage. Selenium increases the skin elasticity. Other foods rich in Selenium are: – meats, fish, poultry, garlic, onion and whole grains.
- Flaxseed (other foods rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids): Omega-3 fatty acids are known to keep inflammation at bay, so dermatologists recommend these to keep acne under control. Fish like Salmon and Sardines are rich in Omega-3. Walnuts and flaxseeds are rich in Omega as well.
- Sweet Potatoes, Bell-Peppers and Carrots: Beta-Carotene is a nutrient found in many orange, red and yellow color fruits and vegetables. Once it gets into our body, It becomes Vitamin A. We all know it’s an amazing nutrient for flawless skin.
- Tomatoes, Oranges and Melons (other foods rich in Vitamin C): Vitamin C for skin is more of a cure than prevention. I mean it does not stop acne breakout, but it prevents your skin from those scars which pimples leave on your skin. Oranges and tomatoes are like bombs of Vitamin C. All citrus fruits act as natural anti- Inflammatories.
- Green Leafy Vegetables, Almonds, Eggs (and other foods rich in Vitamin E): The anti-oxidant Vitamin E helps you heal the scars caused by acne on your skin. Though you don’t get a lot of Vitamin E from a low fat diet. Unrefined vegetable oils, nuts and whole grains are good sources.
- Fennel: If you are not familiar with this liquorice flavored root vegetable then you surely are missing out on a very important thing. Aside from having good digestion and toxin flush out properties, fennel works wonders for your skin. Its really helpful in keeping acne breakouts at bay.
- Oat Milk: There is some evidence which suggests that removing dairy products from the diet eases acne symptoms in some people. A great alternative of milk is “Oat Milk”. It’s high in fiber, lactose free, Vitamin E and folic acid which support healthy acne free skin.
- Red Grapes: Red grapes and its seeds contain powerful natural anti-oxidants which are best to treat inflammatory skin conditions. Add these wonder grapes to your fresh salad or simply enjoy handful of these as snacks.
- Beetroot: These might stain your fingers and your tongue, but the skin clearing properties which they possess is awesome. These dark roots are essentially high in vitamin A, potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium and vitamin E. All these nutrients are extremely beneficial for epidermal health and healing.
- Tofu: No better way to increase protein intake other than including Tofu in your diet. It’s a soft omelette like substance made from soya beans. It’s a great source of vegetable protein, healthy unsaturated fats and calcium. Also a rich source of anti-oxidants, iron, copper and manganese. It’s a sure-short antidote for acne victims.
- Kale: Forget cabbage and add kale to your diet if you want to get rid of that evil acne. It contains a whole range of vitamin A, C, E, K and B-complex. Also got manganese, calcium, iron, potassium, protein and phosphorus. Do I need say more? Just add kale to your diet and experience clear skin.
I have tried to include the best foods which help us escape the vicious effects of acne. Start using these foods and experience the happiness and confidence which will come in you owing to acne-free skin.
*Author Bio: Melissa is a freelance writer by profession and fitness enthusiast at heart. She mainly covers topics related to health, fitness, beauty and skincare. She always prefers organic remedies such as revitol acnezine cream, Revitol acne treatment cream, and Revitol acne removal moisturizing cream for natural glow and shine.