Tagsüber – during the day

This forum is dedicated to learning German (Deutsch) easily
Admin
Site Admin

Tagsüber – during the day

Post by Admin »

‚Tagsüber‘ is an adverb which means – during the day, in the daytime. Here are few examples to familiar yourself with ‘tagsüber’ :-)

1) Seit längerer Zeit arbeite ich nur nachts, also bin ich tagsüber kaum wach. - For a long time I work only at night, so I'm hardly awake during the day.

2) Nachts schlafe ich sehr gut, trotzdem bin ich tagsüber ab und zu müde. - At night I sleep very well, but even though now and then during the day I feel tired. (See more examples with ‘ab un zu’ here)

3) Während der Fastenzeit muss man tagsüber auf Essen und Trinken verzichten. - During the fasting period one has to abstain from food and drinks in the daytime.

die Fastenzeit – fasting period

Verb: auf etwas verzichten – to abstain from something (past & past participle: verzichtete, verzichtet)

4) Tagsüber arbeitet er als Pförtner in einer Bank und nachts ist er ein Gangster. - During the day he works as a doorman at a bank, and at night he is a gangster.

der Pförtner – doorman, gatekeeper (feminine: die Pförtnerin)

der Gangster - gangster

6) Tagsüber hält er sich in der Bibliothek auf – He spends the day in the library/During the day he stays in library.

die Bibliothek - library

Verb: sich aufhalten – to stay (past & past participle: hielt auf, aufgehalten)

7) Tagsüber halte ich mich meistens in der Bibliothek auf – I spend the day mostly in the library/ In the daytime I stay mostly in the library.

8 ) Tagsüber hält er sich meistens bei der Familie auf. – He spends the day mostly with the family/ In the daytime he stays mostly with the family.

9) Tagsüber arbeite ich im Stadtmuseum und nachts gehe ich in die Disko. - During the day I work in the City Museum and at night I go to disco.

das Museum – museum (pl. die Museen)

*Special Thanks: My whole-hearted, and very special thanks to my great teacher and friend Paul Meyer for his time and patience to read the texts and correct the mistakes!!!