Sie werden aufgerufen - You will be called!

This forum is dedicated to learning German (Deutsch) easily
Admin
Site Admin

Sie werden aufgerufen - You will be called!

Post by Admin »

In many offices in Germany, you will see the following message hanging on the door while you are waiting for your turn to be called

Bitte nicht klopfen! – Please do not knock!

Kundengespräche! – Customer Discussions! or Client Interviews!

Sie werden aufgerufen! – You will be called!

Bitte Tür beim Verlassen schließen! – Please close the door when you leave!

Vielen Dank! - Many Thanks!

Achtung (Attention)!!!

It’s read on the door: Bitte Tür bei Verlassen schließen! – something is wrong here, the correct form is:
Bitte Tür beim Verlassen schließen! - the noun here is ‚das Verlassen‘ (leaving) and the preposition’bei’ requires the case ‘Dativ’. And

in ‘Dativ’

das changes to dem

der changes to dem and

die changes to der

So it will be ‚beim Verlassen‘ (bei + dem = beim). Once again the right form is:

Bitte Tür beim Verlassen schließen! – Please close the door when you leave!

Examples with preposition ‚bei‘:

Ich war beim Arzt – I went to the doctor.

Ich habe meine Ausbildung bei der Agentur für Arbeit erfolgreich abgeschlossen - I have successfully completed my training at the employment agency.

der Arzt – doctor

die Agentur – agency or bureau

die Ausbildung – training

die Kunden – clients, customers

das Gespräch – conversation, interview

Verb: abschließen, schloss ab, abgeschlossen (to complete somethinig, completed, completed)

Something more:

Difference between ‘anrufen’ and ‘aufrufen’?

The verb ‘aufrufen’ means to invoke, to call somebody by name, e.g you are waiting at doctor’s chamber and the assistant will call you when it will be your turn. The verb here is – aufrufen, rief auf, aufgerufen

Also in computer science or programming, you may call other code blocks within your main programming code. Here it’s also ‘aufrufen’, e.g.

Ein Unterprogram kann von anderen Programmen aufgerufen werden, um eine Aufgabe zu übernehmen - A subprogram can be called or invoked from other programs in order to undertake a task (example source: Wikipedia)

In case of ‘anrufen’ – commonly used to ‘phone somone’ or to call someone by phone, e.g

Bitte ruf mich an – Please call me (by phone) [while talking with friends and colleagues with ‘du’ relation]

Bitte rufen Sie mich an – Please call me (by phone) [while talking with someone in business relations]

Ich rufe dich an – I will call you

So anrufen, rief an, angerufen